Sludge Blanket Levels?

Has anyone had success in measuring sludge blanket levels in Picket Fence Thickeners as used in the waste water industry? I have tried single point level detection using light, very little success with this, and quite often the sensor gets caught in the rake. I am now using ultrasonic and getting better results. This way I get a continuous level measurement. However, blanket level detection is sometimes unreliable. Is there anything better I should consider for this application? TIA

Reply to
BIGEYE

I've asked the staff at my local sewerage authority if that have a suggestion for you. I'll forward a response if it's pertinent.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

All the plants I've seen use ultrasonic. Hawk

make a range of ultrasonic level transmitters for waste-water applications and they're very easy to set up and pretty reliable.

Another option is something from Drexelbrook. They have a wide range of contact-type magnetostrictive transmitters which can discriminate between the blanket and the water underneath and it might be worth talking to one of their reps..

HTH, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough