Q: Differences between industrial and desktop comps.

Hi! I need some help from you guys. I am looking for some resources regarding differences between industrial grade servers and severs commonly used by IT. I googled, but found mostly manufacturers stuff. I would be rather looking for some independent study, reliability numbers...? I found some info on

I am looking for the info like that, but more specific to computer types in the industrial environment. Any pointers appreciated. Art.

Reply to
art

You might want to start by doing a little research on exactly what you mean by an industrial environment. There are different specs used by different industry groups to describe environmental conditions (dirt, temperature, humidity, chemistry, electomagnetics, etc.) and reliability numbers given without reference to the appropriate conditions would be meaningless.

There are some NEMA

standards for dirt and moisture resistant enclosures that might be a good place to start.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:59:07 GMT, "art" Gave us:

Industrial Computer Source. All they are is overpriced, beefier chassis PCs. Many had single board computers in them.

Hell I have a 20 slot modem rack for telco that runs off 48 volts.

It's about a 12 U rack. I also have an old 5U Alpha based "Industrial computer".

Know anybody still using such antiquated systems? I'd love to dump it off on someone for $100.

Reply to
DarkMatter