Re: How to guesstimate the voltage used in power lines?

> at:
) I believe at one time this

>~25-35kV

Thanks for the replies.

I just remembered something. An area near there was upgraded with a rather high voltage running down the streets. 35kV if I remember the newspaper article correctly. (the poles and transformers do have unusually large insulators). Later I noticed that this distribution network was fed _directly_ from another set of ancient-looking metal towers (different design) that appear to use the same insulators as the ones I asked about, except for a rectangular box (not a transformer) in series. Looked like a capacitor bank (does it make any sense to have capacitors in series with a distribution system?) These towers may run from the same substation as the ones I asked about.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

Rectangular box is series is likely a recloser.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Oh, thanks. That makes much more sense.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

So, take tour DVM up there, and measure the voltage. You might need a dropping resistor though.

Reply to
Dennis