Looking for help about a relay

My table saw has an relay on it, controlled by an on/off switch. Today it wouldn't turn off unless I unplugged it. When I plugged it back in, it ran immediately.

I figured either the on switch had shorted, or the relay had fused on. The relay has 4 poles. When I move the wires to another pole, it works fine; so I guess the relay fused.

But, I know very little about relays, so I don't know how good an idea this is. When a relay fuses, is it just the one pole affected and the others are okay? If so, I should be fine until this one fuses also. Or does it damage the whole relay, in which case I should be replacing it?

I guess the real question is, is using a different pole a reasonable thing to do?

Thanks much.

Reply to
Toller

If you get the point unfused and you have a spare you should be OK but I would still hit it with a point file to knock any burrs off so it won't hang up. One of those diamond fingernail files works pretty good on tungsten points. Hosfelt, Newark or Digikey probably have that relay if you want to be safer.

Reply to
Greg

Well actually I haven't gotten anything unfused. That one pole is still shorted, but the others seem fine. Are you saying I have to unfuse the bad one even if I won't be using it?

Reply to
Toller

filing contacts for the novice is an dangerous thing. I use emery cloth and rarely file contacts. In my experience once you have damaged one pole it is time to inspect, replace or repair all of the contacts. The way things are made now days, some types of contactors/relays are not re-newable.

A relay is nothing more than an electric switch. You close the start button and that in-turn closes the coil for the relay. They saved some money because the switch does not have to carry the motor current just the coil current.

Provide more information on the relay/starter or contact the manufacture for the proper replacement. Me thinks you have an starter not a relay.

Reply to
SQLit

Yes, they re all operated on the same armature. The normal spring in the strap may allow the others to open but they will not have the normal gap and might arc over or fail to open at the worst possible moment.

Reply to
Greg

I think it is a relay. There are 14 contacts. 2 power the relay, and the other 12 are 4 sets of 3. Of the 3, 1 is input, 1 is normally open, and 1 is normally closed. It is made by Potter and Brunfield and the replacement goes for $100. That is a relay isn't it? What is a magnetic starter.

Which brings up another question: McMasterCarr has a 240v/25a relay for $13. Is this likely to work as a replacement, or is it too cheap? The saw runs on 8a, but draws about 26a when starting.

Reply to
Toller

Relays that are suitable for motors are HP rated. $100 is a ridiculous price. Have you tossed it on the counter of a motor shop or HVAC supplier?

Reply to
Greg

No, I guess I have been going to the wrong places; I have only checked with the electrical supply houses. thanks for the suggestion

Reply to
Toller

Its a four pole, double throw (4PDT) relay. What you did - moving the wires to an unused set of contacts - is great. You do have to unfuse the fused contacts, as Greg stated.

In a pinch, you could use the relay you mentioned below if the coil voltage is correct and if it has the right number of contacts. I don't know how many contacts are being used on the existing relay, or how many exist on the one you mention below. I say "in a pinch" - but I would rather see you use a relay with higher rated contacts. That said, if the choice was between a 100 dollar relay and the

13 dollar relay, I'd go with the 13 dollar relay with no hesitation. The worst case is it will fuse like the old one - but that will likely take years.
Reply to
ehsjr

replacement

Not 26 when starting, but 48, starting current is 6 times FLA. Unless your relay is an soft start.

There are lots of relays down in that price range. If it is rated for the FLA and motor rated then you have made a good choice.

Reply to
SQLit