Relay Symbol ?


Have a forced hot water system for home heating that uses the typical 2 wire Honeywell thermostat to control a Honeywell RA832A switching relay.

The switching relay closes the circuit to the thermopile, as well as closing the 110 V circuit for the water circulator.

There is also a transformer that provides 24 V for the thermostat and the relay.


Guess I'm dating myself somewhat here, but there is a symbol that I am not familiar with in the instruction sheet for it.

The secondary of the transformer (goint to the thermostat) shows what is similar tho the common resistor symbol of

3 points up, and 3 points down from the baseline.

But this symbol has only 1 point up, 1 point down, and then the return to the baseline.

I don't think it is meant to be a resistor.

It is drawn close to the relay contact sybols. Could it be meant to be the coil for the relay, perhaps ?

Or,... ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Sometimes what you described is used to indicate a solenoid.

dave y.

Reply to
dave y.

It is a relay coil or a solenoid coil. Relay coils are generally circles, but I have seen the solenoid symbol used as well.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.