Re: Steppers as rotary sensors

you might want to see if this group has some information on this

just a thought CAE

Hi guys. > > I've been thinking a bit about steppers as incremental rotary sensor today. > > I guess its pretty simple to use them as sensors by just continuously > normalizing the signal and sampling voltage change (looking for highs and/or lows) > But that would only work well if the shaft moved at acceptable speed. > I think that to slow movements would not induce any worthwhile signal. > > So my question is. > > Would it not be possible to instead induce a small (small enough so the stepper > wont try to move) current through the coil, sample the signal strength that comes > back when the field collapses and calculate the position of the stepper between > the "teethes". Or are there any strange irregularities in stepper coils that would > prohibit me from effectively doing this or some other problems that might occur? > > Of course there would be somewhat of a problem if the stepper shaft > was moving at the same time so I guess this kind of measurement would > only work at standstill or when the shaft is moving very slowly (right?). > > Anyone out there that has links to sites related to this idea or has any > personal experience regarding this. I cant seem to find any websites > covering this matter. > > regards > /iman > > > -- > So remember, kids! Every time you download a song off the Internet, you

kill a baby panda!

Reply to
Chris E