Re: Water powered cars exist!

world

Care to share the chemical reaction that allows "water" to power cars? I'm curious to see how much energy you can "create" using water as a source of fuel. :O|
(For those that know the answer already - please don't spoil my fun...)

They are called Hydrogen Powered. Still a stupid idea. Electric Cars work better. Invest in batteries.

Has someone done an energy and pollution balance for producing the batteries themselves and the electricity to charge them vs the amount of energy use/pollution they reduce? Just curious.
In particular, I have a feeling that if all gasoline-powered cars in existence were to have batteries for them made, the resulting pollution would be one of astonishing scale. Just a hunch though, no hard data.
DK

You sure they are not cold fusion-based? Thermonuclear would be difficult to AC during hot summer months.
DK
DK wrote:

Its definitely the high temp version. And yes, the temperature does cause comfort problems at times.
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 01:12:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@no.email.thankstospam.net (DK) wrote: >

Actually they are water powered. Hydroelectric. ----- "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oh, that makes sense. Then my computer is also water powered.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

What energy source refills the reservoirs?
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:24:52 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

The same one that powered the formation of carbon chains in oil. ----- "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I guess its all solar power one way or another. ;-)

If you include the balance for production of the batteries, electric cars don't do particularly well. But there's an enourmous mis-match in manufacturing volume between batteries and IC engines, so it sort of oranges-to-apples.
Tom.
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 06:16:44 GMT, "Tom S."

The thing that tips the balance, somewhat, is the government has not started charging road tax on the power used in a plug in electric.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com () wrote in

The Minnesota legislature, not known for missing an opportunity to tax or regulate anything, has been floating the idea of doing away with the fuel tax altogether and instead taxing on miles driven.
The scheme requires hardware to be installed in all vehicles, plus readers to be installed <somewhere>.
--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

Rewarding gas guzzlers, interesting idea.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com () wrote in wrote:

Planning for the time when few(er) cars actually burn gas.
And, why is not taking something from someone the same as rewarding them?
If a mugger leaves you with your watch, do you now consider the watch a gift from him?
--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

When you cut the tax on driving a hummer by 70% it is certainly a reward (assuming the Prius guy's tax stays the same or goes up) This will be revenue neutral or perhaps higher revenue (when do taxes actually go down?) You are just shifting the burden to the guy who has a fuel efficient car.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com () wrote in wrote:

By going to a mileage-based tax, you're shifting the "burden" to the person who is using the resources that the gas tax was supposed to be paying for, namely the roads.
Of course, the Minnesota legislature, not being one to miss an opportunity to tax or regulate anything, is also rasing the gas tax by US$0.10/gallon; it's already passed in the House.
--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

The heavier the vehicle, the larger the impact on the road and the more fuel they burn. It is simple and elegant.
Bert Hyman wrote:

I agree.

I have read nothing about taxing miles driven in the newspaper. It is probably impossible to determine miles driven.
The proposed 10 cent gas tax increase is to fund road construction/repair and transit. There is no adequate source for that funding now and congestion is increasing and roads deteriorating. A recent major project was cancelled when contractors refused to (in effect) loan the state money to start the project before funding was available. Or perhaps the tooth fairy would fund highways.
-- bud--
snipped-for-privacy@isp.com (Bud--) wrote in

Practical impossibilities have never been a concern of legislators.
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/01/02/mileagetax / http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid 8600
--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com