Re: Why Are There No Right Angle Traces?

You'll also find it's possible to etch finer lines if the angles are less than

90 degrees. Think a little bit about the etching acid undercutting the photoresist a little bit -- what happens at the outside edge of a 90 degree turn is a lot more serious than what happens at a 45 degree turn.

It's a small effect, but is sometimes very important.

ajwa

Reply to
tony

jriegle

Indeed, that is to be expected. The electrons are charged, so they repel their neighbours. They can only change direction or move if there is an inbalence in forces, so they will tend to bunch up at the corner and push adjacent electrons around it. There is therefore an increased density of electrons at the corner, and a high electric field as a result. Notwithstanding this the direction is being changed as they turn 90 degrees which is an acceleration, and accelerating electrons radiate. Anyway, that's how I look at it!

Mark.

Reply to
markp

I have done layout on a lot of boards. To me, looks really do count, both on placement and routing. No self-respecting layout person would create an ugly board. They don't call it "artwork" for nothing. Also, having unnecessary vias is just plain wrong. Even though it really doesn't matter most times, I spend times to make the board look like it was purposefully designed. If it looks "pooped out" it probably was.

I remember once the boss was going to lay out a board himself. It was all in 90deg traces. Ugly as hell, and didn't work - not because of traces, but because of other errors.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Leverett

Ok, does that prove that PHB's aren't artists or perhaps they're miserable engineers? I vote for the latter. ;-)

For many years my designs all used Manhatten routing with vias at all intersections (the routing tools made it mandatory). I did some rather high-speed stuff at the time. The stuff I've outsourced looks better, though I don't buy the electron-running- off-the-end theory either.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Have you done the measurements or the calculations? If not, your "feelings" are rather unimportant.

Let me ask, how fast do electrons travel? What is their kinetic energy? Is this important? If so, when?

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

I'll buy that. Let's call it marketing one's self. How much money is put into packaging breakfast cereal?

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

More than the cost of the food put in the multicolor pasteboard box.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As Albert Einstein already said that only a beautifully looking formula can be a correct formula (I don't remember the exact phrase), only a beautifully looking piece of hardware will function flawlessly.

Of course, we all know that this is not necessarily true. I don't know whether there are some statistics available, but I think there is at least some truth inside.

Apart from all the technical issues involved (i.e. in this case by right angle turns), a designer that does not put any attention on the appearance of his design, does probably also not put much attention on the general design as well. As a result, it will show up some flaws. Therefore we might have some coincidence here.

I think this does not only apply to electronics.

Regards, Mario

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Digital Force / Mario Trams snipped-for-privacy@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de snipped-for-privacy@wooden-technology.de Chemnitz University of Technology

of Computer Science Tel.: (+49) 371 531 1660 Chair of Computer Architecture Fax.: (+49) 371 531 1818

Mario Trams

Er..Ahmmm.. this is not a good one either. It appears that this particular "confirmation" is not really supportable. There errors of the measurement were not low enough. Of course, the bending of light has been confirmed with much better precision nowadays.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

It is better than you think. The anomolous perihelion advance is known to +-0.45 arcseconds per century and is 45.11 arcseconds per century. The GR value is 43.03 arcseconds per century. The remaining error may be either a need for a more accurate theory or errors in the less well known numbers in the GR calculation. The measured number must be considered accurate to at least the stated error band.

The precision of astrometric measurements is so high that these are the best confirmations of the theory aside from radar measurements.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Simmons

Wow, you have been studying!

Score: Three-letter words = 4 Four-letter words = 1 (impressive and original) Five letter words = 1 (most impressive)

Average word length = 3.5 (First-grade level, perhaps)

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

I was referring to the bending of light, not the proof of the absence of the planet Vulcan. imo, a rational examination of Eddington's experiment is that it meant nothing.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Copper IC metallization is already operating in the MA/cm^2 range. The whole nanotech/buckyball/nanotube thing is massively overhyped. Somebody is claiming a nanotube-based RAM...

which just about pins my bogometer needle.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

I take it you're not likely going to be investing in the inevitable IPO..

"Mr. Schmergel won't say exactly how Nantero's chips will work, but he says they will use an electromechanical approach to storing memory instead of electrical charges."

Founding Team:

Greg Schmergel Co-founder, President & CEO. Greg Schmergel was most recently Senior Vice President, Corporate Strategy for About, Inc., the 5th largest Web property. Previously he was President and CEO of ExpertCentral.com, Inc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I happen to know some of the VCs who are funding this, and have seen the sort of corporate paperwork they like. I assure you that nobody (not the employees with options, not the angel investors, likely not the founders) but the VCs will get anything but screwed.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Yes. The effect to be measured was close to 1 arcsecond and the probable error was about 0.25 arcsecond. It was a start. Much of the error was due to having to leave the camera in position for some months in order to get several night time plates of the same stars. The focal length of the camera changed slightly due to temperature change from the time of the eclipse to the time when the night plates were taken. Today, the optical experiment can be done to milliarcseconds without an eclipse and without waiting for months to get baseline stellar positions. The radar experiments are even better.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Simmons

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:27:26 -0500, Jackson Harvey Gave us:

EFAD sounds better than ESAD as well.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Bigger words? Did you buy a Thesaurus?

You continue to impress me dimmie!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:54:15 -0400, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Yer a Ditz. You don't get impressed, you get awed by every little thing.

Reply to
DarkMatter