Recommendations for a new VOM

My old Fluke got left out in the rain and has passed away. Any favorites out there? I looked and found a few with tons of bells and whistles, ie reading freq, temperature, etc.

I am looking for the < $100 range.

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Douglas

I would send it back to Fluke before you have the last rites. You might be surprised to find out that it can be repaired for less than a new meter.

Reply to
SQLit

You can torture yourself comparing specs and prices. If you need a "kick around" meter that won't hurt you if it gets lost/damaged, get several of Harbor Freight's cheap DMM - item # 30756-4VGA when it goes on sale. On sale it is $2.99 and includes the 9V battery. Even if you don't need a "kick around" meter, these things are so cheap on sale that you almost can't afford not to buy some. For most of the measurements you will make, the thing is good enough - and it has a transistor tester to boot!

If your main concern is getting the quality/reliability of a Fluke, get another Fluke (if you can't get yours repaired as the other poster recommended). Otherwise, buy based on the features that you need. In the under 100 dollar market, it is essentially a features driven selection anyway with little to choose between based on reliability/quality/accuracy.

Whichever

Reply to
ehsjr

Don't forget to ask yourself if you're comfy hooking up your $10 meter to a 600V bus.

Reply to
Steve Cothran

Why not? For $10, I suspect the internal wiring will "fuse" if something really goes wrong.

I'm not sure about "wiring in" a $10 VOM but a quick measurement? I would not worry.

If he is lucky, the test leads from the old Fluke will fit the $10 VOM. (Seems that every different branc had a differ sleve arangement to help keep the user from touching the "banana."

Reply to
John Gilmer

Thanks for all the recommendations, I ended up picking up a BKPrecision model for $70.00 that had a ton more features than the old Fluke. Someone responded with a request to send the old Fluke to them so they could fix it for the BoyScouts so I am giving the old one a new life.

Reply to
Jim Douglas