Repairing a TV remote control - new LED

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:46:25 GMT, "Anthony Fremont"
They are also being fed more current. DOH!

May be? Do you know ANYTHING about the drive circuitry in question? "Driven hard"? Such remotes are designed to last at least a decade and their MTBF is NOT related to the LED.

Fuck you asshole! You don't get to claim to be diplomatic in one part of a post, then turn into an asshole at will without being called on it. Fuck off!
Gave us:

Not necessarily.

original
Usually they die from a cracked resonator or worn keypad, but blown LEDs are not unheard of. It's common knowledge that LEDs driven by excessive currents will dim over time. Here's some info on it: http://www.signweb.com/moving/tips/movingtips1.html

You can change your nym all you want Darkmatter, but you're still the same ole same ole. BTW, I didn't claim to be diplomatic. After all the crap you've thrown at me over the years, I'll likely never be polite to you.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:35:55 GMT, "Anthony Fremont"

As are you... you are the same old RETARD.

Hahahaha...

I was merely trying to put the shit where it belongs... on the shitpile.
Gave us:

Even at the same current, LEDs today give out far more light energy for the same current than LEDs of yesteryear, and they get better almost every year. It is an area of electronics to which a lot of time and research is being devoted. A modern LED can be glaringly bright and realistically used as a source of illumination at only 10mA, whereas years ago even driving one hard at 20mA or more would have had little more use than an indicator.
It is true that high power LEDs are available which are fed large currents, but that is another subject entirely.
Have a look here-.
http://www.ledmuseum.org /
Examples-
a true green 5mm LED tested at 26mA and gives out 14,340 mcd. a white 5mm LED tested at 19.28 mA that gives out 17,670 mcd.
There's a section on IR LEDs and one on UV LEDs as well, it's a fascinating site.
Dave
us:

Did not see ANY IR LEDs on the PURE ADVERT site.

Then you missed them, he reviews several. UV LEDs as well. Also lasers, flashlights and other lamps. I had no problem at all finding them. There's no need to shout just because you've had 'words' with other posters.
It's not an advert site, he gives often brutally honest reviews on all the products he tests. If something is crap, he says so in no uncertain terms..
Dave
us:

I didn't shout. I feel it is stupid for the idiot running the site to call it a museum when he really means "collection of links to sites that will sell you something".
ALL CAPS throughout is shouting. Certain capitalized words IN a sentence is NOT.

So. He still carries NOTHING but links and pictures (banners) to other sites that want to sell you something, and that usually at overtly high prices.
Thanks anyway.

Why not just try another new remote. May work better. You could try using the new LED. If it does not work, go backwards. Most new stuff has higher energy than the old stuff. Adding LEDs has 2 problems. Current capacity of the driver, and voltage drops.
greg

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:07:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu (GregS) Gave us:

That would be the other point. How much is one's time worth? Buy the new $15 remote, and fix that one casually or just pitch it... :-]

HI,
Buy a cheap universal remote control (for Euro 3,- available at local drugstores over here )
Try if it works with your Sony equipment (at my place it works with all Sony equipment I have)
Be satisfied with this remote, or disassemble the remote control, steal the LED and use it in your original remote control.
Kind regards, Ben
Zak wrote:

possible - but...

The most problematic case is where the handset uses two cells in series and you try to use Nicads which only provide 1.2Volts each instead of 1.5volts. This leaves the circuit short of voltage and the only solution is to use Alkalines to give the circuits their correct supply.
You can assess the brightness of the LED by observing it in the LCD viewfinder of a digital camera. HTH

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:38:21 -0000, "Graham W"

Good call!
You might consider a LED with a narrow beam angle - it concentrates its energy in a narrow(er) spot - like the difference between a spotlight and a floodlight. Of course, you'll have to aim the remote a bit more carefully.
But as others have said, a cheap universal remote is the easiest way to go. Are you trying to change channels from three rooms away?
Zak wrote:

Your remote was designed to use a particular IR LED on its output. If you were to put in a stronger LED design of the driver circuits for the LED would have to also be modified to be able to supply the new device. In the end, I would think this to not be feasible.
Also, there are most likely more efficient IR LED's around, but you would have to first work out the specs of the origional one, and then search out for an equivlent replacement that are more efficient. This may avoid any necessary modifications.
Considering that your TV and remote is very old, you should be considering a new system, rather than trying to modify it. In both the TV and remote, it is very probable that some of the components have drifted slightly out of specs over the years.
I have seen in some places that sell TV's and sound systems, a gadget that is called a remote control repeater. It is a unit that sees the IR from the user's remote control, and repeats it on its output. You only have to face the repeater in the direction where you want the IR beam to go. On the opposite side, it has a receiver for the user's remote. This also works very well under the proper conditions.
--

JANA
_____

"Zak" < snipped-for-privacy@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
On 17 Feb 2006, JANA wrote:

Overall consensus seems to be to leave it alone. Pity. Ok then I guess tha's the best option. Thanks to all.
Zak wrote:

Zak
Dont give up.
Advice such as "If you were to put in a stronger led..." and suchlike is mere gobblydegook.
The existing led has a peak wavelength of either 880 or 940nm. You need to get the right wavelength.
Then, to a first approximation, the efficacy (output) of all modern 5mm IR leds is pretty much the same from the major manufactureres. However the dispersion angle (2 theta 1/2) will greatly affect the range obtained - just like visible leds where a narrower angle makes the led 'brighter' on axis but dimmer away from the axis etc.
Yes modern IR leds are more efficacious that those of 15 years ago. Yes your old led will likely not be emitting anywhere near the power that it did when new - all leds, including IR leds, degrade with time. IR leds are generally bashed quite heavily and can show marked degradation with use. (The leds only degrade significantly with use).
Since current peaks are large put decent batteries in your remote. *NOT* heavy duty marked batteries - this type of battery is not intended for significant current peaks - use high power alkalines..