Residential installation questions

I just have a couple basic questions for a new single family dwelling installation.

  1. If the home will have more than one bathroom can the required GFCI outlets for both be fed from the same 20 amp branch circuit or does each bathroom need a separate, dedicated circuit from the panel?

  1. Can the front and back GFCI outlets be fed from some nearby general purpose outlet - (say, a bedroom receptacle)? Can one of them be fed as "Load" from the other one so only one GFCI type needs to be purchased?

  2. Is there any consensus about keeping lighting circuits separate from receptacle circuits? Or can you just feed switches for lights in a room from the nearest receptacle (assuming the wire size and device rating, etc, is maintained)?

  1. We will have a 30 inch long peninsular countertop - no overhead cabinets. Can the required receptacle be mounted in the wall that that countertop joins or do I somehow have to figure a way to mount a receptacle and run the cable in the storage cabinet underneath? It doesn't sound to me like such a great idea having wiring and a box exposed in a cabinet but I have no idea how else to meet this requirement.

  2. One last one: in most new homes are the general purpose receptacle and lighting circuits wired for 15 or 20 amp?

Thanks for any advice, Perion

Reply to
Perion

Yes if the circuit only feeds receptacle outlets, not the fan, light etc.

Yes but bear in mind if it is off the bedroom that will also be AFCI

Yes but the wire may cost as much as another GFCI ;-)

That is a design issue

Yes, within 20" vertically of the counter top.

I see more 15a on general lighting circuits YMMV

Reply to
Greg

You can but it is not a good idea, in today world of hair dryers, and curling appliances the combination could spell tripped breakers at certain times.

No bathrooms should be fed seperatly because of the loading.

I always try for the recpts and the lighting to be seperate, I also try to keep 2 circuits in each bedroom. That way if you trip one you still have 1/2 the room working. This does not mean 2 seperate circuits for each bedroom.

I just remodeled my kitchen and placed outlets in the cabinets and the back wall into the dining room. They are just below the counter top, you have to look for them but they do the job. Your supposed to have an outlet for ever

18 or larger piece of counter top. Double duplexs work well into days ever tool imaginable is electric world.

General purpose are usually considered as 15 amp. Kitchens and dining rooms required to be 20 amp because of the larger loads. Kitchens now are required to have GFCI protection with in 3 feet of the sink. Bedrooms are required to be Arc fault.

Reply to
SQLit