Running 220V rated ballasts at 240V

Hi all,

I've got a problem where some ballasts are dying. They are Philips BTA

36L05 and are rated at 220V. They are used in a 240V supply. Unfortunately last time I was onsite I didn't measure the actual supply voltage.

They are used in a rural supermarket and all the ballasts are contained in a steel ventilating mesh enclosure. Each enclosure contains eight ballasts with a spacing of about an inch between them.

Is the difference in voltage rating a likely failure mode?

Regards,

Zed.

Reply to
Zed

Possibly, the manufacturer could give you a better answer. The higher voltage combined with the close spacing could be burning them out prematurely. You have to watch voltages, there's to many of them. In the

200's you have 208, 220, 230 and 240. It can be quite a pain to get everything right. I've fixed many a machine simply by properly matching the voltages. I have also bought ballasts specifically rated at 208 volts, there's gotta be a reason they separate them from the 220 volt models.
Reply to
uray