Splices in service panel

I am upgrading my service panel to 150 amp. The new panel is a lot longer than the old panel and as a result some of the hot wires will not be long
enough to reach the breaker. Am I allowed to splice within the service panel or must I run a new line from a junction box?
Brian Bonner wrote:

You may splice inside the new panel, as long as the number of splices does not cause you to exceed box fill requirements from art. 314 of the NEC.
Bob Weiss N2IXK

In follow-up of the original question, are Amp insulated crimp type spices acceptable for this purpose? Is their insulation sufficient for the application (115 volt branches), or should they be additionally shrink-wrapped or covered with electrical tape?
I know this method will work, but my question is: Will it be up to code?
Harry C.

It depends on the splice and the tool you use. Inspectors may ask to see the listing.
I wouldn't use the ones at the radio shack or on the low voltage aisle at Home Depot.
You can say all the bad things you want about wirenuts but the inspectors are used to seeing them.

I would give you a conditional yes. The rule is actually sort of confusing, using language like "...the conductors, splices and taps shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75%" 2002 NEC art 312.8. Generally speaking, if you do neat work and don't clutter up the "wiring space" any reasonable inspector will hold his nose and say OK. If you end up with a huge number of wires that need splicing it is probably better to put in a big junction box. Home Depot has them up to 12x12 I think. I ended up with one about 9x9 when I did my panel upgrade. I got some barrier strip terminal blocks and made the box easy to deal with. I kept the neutrals and hots together on adjacent strips, one next to the other and used one big common bar for the grounds. That was bonded to the main with a 4ga copper.
Instead of splicing to get the original wires to the bottom of the column of breakers, I'd suggest arranging all of the "old" wires to the upper part of the new box. (half on the right side, and the other half on the left side)
And then any new wiring you do would be added to the bottom portion. (right and left)
jtiggr