Station Class Arrester Installation

Does anyone have any practical experience in installing station class arresters for protection of the LV side of a power transformer? I'm curious as to the conductor size/type used for the primary connection...need it be bare or can it be insulated? What about size...I figure a 4/0 stranded Cu ought to be plenty as my application is on a 4 kV system where the source of energy is a hydroelectric generating unit (i.e. the energy source is not the grid nor lightning).

Any insight would be appreciated.

MysteryMan

All of the station/utility class arrestors I have ever installed when on the high side of a transformer. I have always used either 3/0 or 4/0 wire and made sure that the grounding is proper. Station class arrestors have a pretty high let through. I would be curious why you do not just use the other two zones of protection like the emerald book says you can do.

Reply to
SQLit