surge suppressor voltage limit

Anyone interested can google for "phil's phantasy physics".

Reply to
bud--

I agree it is an excellent source. Available at:

Phil said there was a "lack of interest" on the part of the authors "to explore the field of fast rise time pulses and edge transitions".

Of IEEE standards for characterizing surges Phil said "they've missed a lot of reality."

Of an experiment by Francois Martzloff, an expert in the field, that directly contradicts Phil, Phil says "then he flubbed the experiment."

Of Martzloffs comments, quoted earlier, for raising clamp voltages Phil said Martzloff had a "hidden agenda".

Reply to
bud--

Phil lives in a tiny fantasy world, where he is the only one who knows anything.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:32:48 GMT snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tesco.net wrote: | Dear Phil | | While I have no intension of being drawn into discussions relating to this | topic, I would like to bring to your attention an excellent publication by | the IEEE that covers most aspects of surge suppression technology as it | relates the protection of your home. Please see "How to Protect Your House | and its Contents from Lighting", this publication covers both the | requirements under US standards and why some systems work better than | others.

These documents have been long discussed here. But there are people here who don't read it carefully. Also, they cover a lot of incorrect situations where things like existant wiring are wrong. Those cases pose great difficulty in finding good solutions. I have no interest in them.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:14:27 -0500 bud-- wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tesco.net wrote: |> Dear Phil |> |> While I have no intension of being drawn into discussions relating to this |> topic, I would like to bring to your attention an excellent publication by |> the IEEE that covers most aspects of surge suppression technology as it |> relates the protection of your home. Please see "How to Protect Your House |> and its Contents from Lighting", this publication covers both the |> requirements under US standards and why some systems work better than |> others. | | I agree it is an excellent source. Available at: |

| | Phil said there was a "lack of interest" on the part of the authors "to | explore the field of fast rise time pulses and edge transitions".

They don't seem to have that interest. It could be because these kinds of surges happen less often. It takes a close lightning strike for it to happen.

| Of IEEE standards for characterizing surges Phil said "they've missed a | lot of reality."

They are at least not covering all of it. It's not practical to cover it all in one document.

| Of an experiment by Francois Martzloff, an expert in the field, that | directly contradicts Phil, Phil says "then he flubbed the experiment."

This comment was pointed at Bud, who misunderstand the science behind any of this. I don't believe Martzloff flubbed anything. Instead, he just did not focus on it. Bud misunderstands this. Bud assumes ONE document is complete coverage of all science.

| Of Martzloffs comments, quoted earlier, for raising clamp voltages Phil | said Martzloff had a "hidden agenda".

Again, this is for Bud's benefit so maybe it would spur him to think about what he reads instead of just spouting off misapplied science. I was hoping he would be able to learn. This was a while back. He's show no learning since then, which suggests he might be full.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:34:04 -0400 Michael A. Terrell wrote: | | bud-- wrote: |> |> snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tesco.net wrote: |> > Dear Phil |> >

|> > While I have no intension of being drawn into discussions relating to this |> > topic, I would like to bring to your attention an excellent publication by |> > the IEEE that covers most aspects of surge suppression technology as it |> > relates the protection of your home. Please see "How to Protect Your House |> > and its Contents from Lighting", this publication covers both the |> > requirements under US standards and why some systems work better than |> > others. |> |> I agree it is an excellent source. Available at: |>

Michael A. Terrell is one of those people that contributes absolutely NOTHING when he faces someone he doesn't like, or who says things he doesn't like. Mr. Terrell does have knowledge of science, technology and engineering. But he is a bitter person, possibly due to the health conditions he faces, or maybe due to some bad experiences in life. He has become antisocial and prefers to make personal attacks on people instead of conducting discussion on a point by point basis. He could discuss, and in many cases he does. But when he has the opportunity to make personal attacks, it's like he switches personality.

Google Groups can show you his past posts. Judge for yourself.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:11:41 -0500 bud-- wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> The leading edge of a fast rising surge wavefront will NOT propogate only to |> the MOVs in the hopes that the MOV will provide a low impedance path somewhere. |> The true fact is that the wavefront will propogate in all directions in some |> proportion dictated by the reactive aspects of the wiring involved. | | Anyone interested can google for "phil's phantasy physics".

And then they can compare that to real physics, and if the understand what they read, they can see the fantasy is in Bud's head.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam