telephone prewiring questions

I'm rehabbing a light commercial building and I want to install telco access into it to avoid messy installations in the future, so that I can control access locations. The building is now vacant so current telco service is not an issue. One complication is that there is a second building in the rear that is in the path of service drops from the alley where the line poles are located. One possibility would be to bury conduit, but a much easier project would be to run a pass-though conduit right through the rear building. That way the connection box could be back near the alley, and the interfaces could be in the basement of the front building at the end of the conduit. Conduit between the two buildings is already installed. I've tried to get tech info from the local telco (sbc) and spending an hour+ on the phone produced nothing but people who obviously didn't have any tech knowledge and were apparently not allowed to refer me to anyone else. Total dead end!!! I've talked to three installer type people I collared out in the street at different times, and they didn't have any useful information. The type of info I need:

1) PVC conduit OK? 2) Do I need to put cable runs in the conduit now? 3) If telco pulls cable, conduit size? 4) If I install the cable, is CAT5 OK? I want to provide for about a dozen phone lines. 5) CAT5 would be best regarding dsl problems? Length of cable run would be about 90 feet.

Thanks Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

welcome to 21st century telephone in the US.

normally the telephone company installs up to a "demark". from this point on its not their problem to install unless you specify inside wiring at an additional charge. after the demark its your problem or your telephone equipment provider.

more info then i could write in a week about DSL wiring

TimPerry