It's not a problem because the load also dropped to 2/3rds of normal. If the houses without power could have reconnected themselves to another working phase, then it might have been a problem because the original load would then have been distributed across just 2 phases, which could have overloaded those two transformer windings if they were near their load limits. The street distribution cable will have a full size neutral conductor, so the local distribution network will not be assuming a balanced load, and will cope fine with one or two of the 3 phases tripping out.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 2007-02-21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Right. 0 VA was coming into mine!

OK, thanks. I thought it was important to balance the output of the transformer.
--
Leila: "What if he's innocent?"
Agent Rogersz: "No one is innocent."

Andrew Gabriel has already given you most of the answer, but it is a bit misleading to talk of circuit-breakers tripping. The 240 V cables supplying houses are protected almost invariably by three independant fuses. When these blow the problem is normally a cable fault, and frequently only one or two phases will fail. After the fuse has blown there are two possibilities :-
(a) The heat of the arc will have dried out the fault, and inserting a new fuse will restore the supply for an indeterminate time between a few minutes and several months.
(b) The fault will be permanent, and the supply company will set about the odten difficult task of locating and repairing the fault.
John
--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
On 2007-02-22, John Rye wrote:

OK, that's (obviously) different from what I thought. Thanks.