Using sound cards and digital files for data recording

This was brought up in another thread but let's assume for this discussion that we are not sampling line voltage. We just have a
varying In another discussion this was suggested BUT for THIS discussion let's assume we are talking about a low voltage from a double bobbin transformer. How well would this work?