Why no power options at the school of electrical engineering since the late 1960s?

Why no power options at the school of electrical engineering since the late

1960s?

You can be sure that most new BSEE graduates don't know the difference between a fault from a bus. Are home grown power engineers as rare as the mainframe Fortran programers? So whose talking care of our buildings, plants, transmission and distribution systems and such when our universities don't provide power options?

Reply to
Fred

Which universities are you refering to? We work with, and hire from, several universities that still have power programs. Perhaps you could be a little more specific.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

California, the UC and state colleges - the only power options I know of is from Sacramento State a number of years ago, don't know about now. So which universities have power programs?

Reply to
Fred

|>> You can be sure that most new BSEE graduates don't know the difference |>> between a fault from a bus. Are home grown power engineers as rare as the |>> mainframe Fortran programers? So whose talking care of our buildings, |>> plants, transmission and distribution systems and such when our |>> universities don't provide power options? |>>

|> Which universities are you refering to? We work with, and hire from, |> several universities that still have power programs. Perhaps you could be |> a little more specific. |>

|> Charles Perry P.E. |>

| | California, the UC and state colleges - the only power options I know of is | from Sacramento State a number of years ago, don't know about now. So which | universities have power programs?

University of Illinois (Champaign/Urbana) did when I was there.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Clemson, Georgia Tech, VA Tech, WVU, UW (Madison I think), Rensselaer Polytechnic, etc.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Add Purdue, Northern Michigan, Iowa, and several of the Canadian universities (UBC, U of Alberta, U of Calgary, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Toronto, Memorial, Nova Scotia Tech, etc.

Reply to
Don Kelly

"Don Kelly" wrote in news:EM_Ce.271608$El.96646@pd7tw1no:

also UNL, Notre Dame, SDSMT.... maybe California got rid of them when they decided to sell off all of their electric grid and buy from others...

Reply to
me

On 19 Jul 2005 01:45:11 -0500, me Gave us:

Don't you mean "steal from us electric consumers and give it to some other state..."?

Reply to
TokaMundo

Way, way before that. CA went hi tech right after the transistor was invented. Power options (low tech, boring and not enough enrollment was what I perceived then) were dropped around the late 60s. What was left were semiconductor fabrication and circuit design, computer programming, communication, control, etc. - most were more glamorous and higher pay. We get our power guys from the right side of the USA (good to see we still have them) or from foreign sources like India or England.

Reply to
Fred

Probably it. The only 'EE' work in CA is in silicon valley, so that's what they cater to ;-)

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom