Wireless thermometer needed for plant

x-no-archive:yes

We are a metal working factory. We have a need to measure the ambient air temperature at approximately 33 locations in our facility. We would like to be able to access this information from the front office. (The

33 points we need to measure are out in the plant). Can this be done over a network or something? Any help would be appreciated!
Reply to
stryped

Why does it have to be wireless? Remotely sensing air temperatures is done by HVAC systems all the time. Your factory HVAC system is probably already doing this for many of your locations.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Omega is a start-

Lots of other possibilities, fire up Google and let your fingers do the walking.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Reply to
stryped

HVAC stands for Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning. Does the factory have a HVAC system? They are required by OSHA here in the US to ensure good air quality for the employees. Your local HVAC contractor can knock out this sort of thing in a couple of days. Biggest time consumer would be putting in the conduit for the cables.

--Dale

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Guess that's why he asked about 'Wireless' ;-)

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Metal working factory. Probably has all kinds of arc welders, variable speed electric motors and so on spewing all sorts of RFI. Wireless in that sort of environment is asking for trouble.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

There is a new technique called ZigBee that looks to be ideal for this sort of thing. It is a short range wireless system designed for monitoring and control. It is an IEEE standard 802.15.4 augmented by the ZigBee Alliance. See:

This is still very new, but systems are becoming available.

Reply to
VWWall