wiring advice

I have an extension which I need to wire up lighting inside and outside. I have 1 wall light and two external halogen lights and I want all three
switched from the same place but on its own switch.(simple enough)!! I have run a permanent live and neutral from the upstairs lighting circuit to the switch box and from there I have run 1 cable to each light fitting, I intend to put the permanent live to the first common on the switch and then loop to the next two commons on the switches, then I intend to run a live from the opposite side of the swithches to each light fitting and connect all three neutrals together with the permanent neutral. 2 electicians have told me this is correct and 1 electrician has said its not right. so, who is right ?? mike
The way you described the wiring connections will work as long as the cable from the upstairs does infact contain a permanent live and not just the switch line from that light. Also just make sure that you are not exceeding the rating of the fuse/mcb or the cable by adding these additional lights.

then
I agree with Bruce as I take it you are a UK citizen by your email address. I would also advise you to use a 1 inch deep back box to allow room for play with the wires. Ensure you connect all the earths. Also, ensure the connector block for you neutral is rated accordingly. It can be quite easy to overload the circuit with two 500w halogens as (ignoring pf) 1000w / 240v = 4.17A. The additional lamps on the circuit may push the current to more than the 5A or 6A capacity of the lighting circuit. Other factors which govern an installation are the sizing of the cable, how the cable is run and the protection device for the circuit (fuse type / mcb type). Paul F

circuit
fitting,
live
connect
its

then
It will work, but won't meet code. (if I understood your cryptic description correctly) You cannot have more than one wire connected to a terminal of a switch; you have to connect the line hot to three pigtails, and run the pigtails to the switches. Is that what the third electrian told you?

circuit
fitting,
live
connect
its
description
you
the
the 3 lights would be on its own switch

didnt accept the way he was going to wire it he would not do the wiring, (he`s the in-law (ex norweb inspector)) Now I`ve found he changed back my wiring prior to plastering work and I now have 3 twn + earth wires going to an external light, 2 twn + earth wires to the 2nd ext light and 2 twn + earth wires and the perm live + neutral wires to the internal light with 3 twn + earth wires to the switch box. I cant understand it, there seems to be too many wires. I`m not trying to prove anybody wrong, only to understand how everything is wired in my own house, I have friends who are sparks and would do ths differently, however the in-laws got involved first and the wife wont let me tell them where to go.
mike