BMW's, beach sand and LA Lockies....

Hello All,
Just got back from vacationing in California for about 6 days-kinda
was'nt long enough, but got other business to tend to.
I had taken a few tools with me as I never travel without them.Happens
that my Sis in LA had an 86 BMW with a passenger door lock that
could'nt be operated with the key.When I had talked to her over the
phone previously, she told me she though that the key was not going in
all the way.
Got to work on it.Had to pull the trim off and remove the lock.I
decided that I should go buy a few blanks.The locksmith I went to told
me he could not sell uncut blanks and that if he did, he would end up
in jail.
When I showed him my ALOA Card, he said the owner of the shop was not
there and could not be reached.
I then suggested that he take a few X144 blanks and make a small cut
next to the shoulder.That way he would not be selling an uncut key.
He agreed and sold me these blanks.
I found out later the culprit was typical beach sand.Blasted it with
WD-40(Only thing I had), then got a can of airblast, like you use on a
computer and blew it out several times then left it set overnight with
the drain hole down.I figure the WD-40 should dry up before too
long-then my bro-in-law can put some graphite in it.Works fine.
Does anybody know what the law is in Cali regarding the selling of
uncut blanks?
TIA,
goma.
Reply to
goma865
No prohibition at the state level, but LA might have some ordinance but I doubt it. IIRC they do have some rule about stamping your name on duplicate keys.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
There's no law or ordinance against buying or possessing blanks in Ca or LA.
However, California Penal Code 466 talks about lots of things that are a lot of things that are illegal to posses (burglar tools) WITH INTENT to break or enter (burglary) and lists lots of items, keys, picks, etc.
We had a series of burglaries where there was no evidence of forced entry but brass filings were found by the victims' doors. One of the patrol officers stopped a guy in an alley behind a business of the type that were getting hit and found key blanks, along with an impressioning file on him. In this case a key blank was a burglary tool.
Another guy was arrested with burglary tools, marshmallows that he used to fill in the strikes so latches wouldn't engage, leaving the door open.
Showing intent is the key (no pun intended) in determining if something is a burglar tool.
Skip
Reply to
Skip
I'm going to have to remember this one! It's the best example I've seen of:
>Showing intent is the key (no pun intended) in determining if >something is a burglar tool.
Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

Site Timeline