College Key Systems

Typically, for large universities and colleges, what type of key systems do they use? I called UCLA to ask what type of key they use, as I wanted to get a friend a Dodgers laminated key (by KabaIlco), which they make in SC1 and KW1, and the university wouldn't even say what type of key they used, citing security concerns. For UCLA or someone like them, would they typically use a standard key profile, or would they have a proprietary system like Medeco or the like?

Reply to
MarkJ

they can, or even electronic..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yes, that is entirely typical. Restricted blanks are common. High-security systems are increasingly common, as are electronic systems.

Your best bet is to get your friend a Dodgers laminated key fob, which they can attach to their key chain along with whatever keys they're using.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

There is virtually no way a large institution would use SC1 or KW1 (or other standard profiles) for its mainstream locking.

And possession of an unauthorized state agency key in California is an offence - AFAIK this includes UC campuses.

Reply to
Peter

The couple colleges I've worked on have had really obscure key sections by Best, Insta Key, Sargent, Russwin, etc.

A fob key in Schlage or Kwikset isn't likely to be of much use to you. I'd guess about 99 1/2% chance it's a commercial or proprietary system.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of couse, if he is in college he probably still maintains a bedroom at home :) He will continue to carry a key to his parents house for years to come (my wife still carries a key to her mom's and we have been married <mumble-mumble> years) and it would certainly be a better gift since he'd be able to use it after leaving college as well, instead of having to turn it in when he leaves :)

-- A

Reply to
Absinthe

I work for a large state university. We use Best C, D, L and Q keyways, Sargent LN, LK, CH, RG, LG and RN keyways to name a few. Going to be phasing out the Sargents for Best soon. Also a lot of Locknetics and cardreaders.

Reply to
Bag Boy