Tubular Pick

Any preference regarding which tubular pick to buy? I have not run across any 9 pins, as of yet, are they common? Should I buy 7 & 9 pin pick or both? Thanks for any suggestions. William

Reply to
William S. Gilman

whats in your neighborhood? I got 4 and 7 pin here.. to ME.. the BIG issue, is what is comfortable in my hand.. My 7 pin pick, is TOO small a diameter and TOO short in the handle.. plus being a hex shape doesnt help.. needs to be quarter inch bigger and 1.5" longer, to be comfortable.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

I have a standard HPC 7 pin pick I never use.

My friend got the standard, left offset, and right offset 7 pin picks years ago. He has yet to use the offset picks so he lost out there.

I've never seen a 9 pin lock. There are a few 8 pin locks around but those use a control key to rekey them so to me it would be a waste of money too.

The way I look at it is around here 99 percent of the locks are 7 pin standard offset and if it's something else I can just drill it out and replace it. Those other picks just cost too much.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Ha ha! I note that in laundromat applications there is a 'hood' over the cash box lock where a (presumably) modified key has to be inserted through a hole with a center just below the keyhole then (presumably) the narrow shank moved upwards into a narrower part of the hole so it lines up with the keyhole. Keeps those tubular picks out of it.

Reply to
Peter

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

The system is called "Greenwald".

(there are Greenwald picks....)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ha ha?

You evidently assume that William asked his question for less than honorable reasons. A locksmith gets very little work from Laundromats using this kind of lock and there are other methods of dealing with the problem if they do.

You have received the following honor:

<<PLONK>>
Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Which of course create much more noise and / or disturbance than the discreet use of a tubular pick.

I know that some amateurs are 'put down' by paranoid pros on this ng for seeking combos, bittings, opening methods, etc, but this seems to be the first time an amateur has been put down by a pro for being paranoid.

Reply to
Peter