Getting into Safe work

Ok, at the risk of hitting the hot buttons, lets just say I would like to keep the on forum aspect of this light and theoretical. I would be happy to go offline to email if someone has anything to offer that they are uncomfortable sharing here.

I would like to at some point add some safe work to my repertoire. Short of going to work for someone that is already doing safework, what is a good way to slide into it.

I read an article that suggested taking out an ad buying/selling used safes and well some of the suggestions were in the direction of bait and switch...

Other thoughts I have had were, buy locks and learn repair, rekey, manipulation buy containers and learn installation, repair, drill etc. pick a particular line and learn it to a "factory trained level"

I understand that the equipment is a huge expense, and some of it is "black magic" and will no doubt only be picked up from old timers. But seriously, to service the occasional customer that may need some "safe service", or whatever, where is a good place to start.

Suggestions I have already gotten were:

  1. Work for someone.
  2. Just sell whatever your distributor carries, and if they need advanced help that I can't handle (drill, manipulate, repair etc.. ) refer them to someone else.
  3. Find a safe man and refer all leads to him or subcontract him.
  4. One person even suggested kind of a variation on #3 in that they suggested that part of the agreement is to be the helper and train on whatever he does for the client that you referred.
Reply to
Absinthe

equipment a huge expense? as compared to TRANSPONDERS? naa $5400 for a programming tool to do CERTAIN Fords and Chryslers I believe Mark figured out prices to totally do transponder work, and the figure was $13,000+ of electronic tools, ignoring the key machines and blanks... and that was the OLD Ford programmer for 2 grand, so that price is now low...

VS, safe work? Drill, and holder- a grand bore scope- $500-1,000

books and membership in safe organization? another grand... to ME, its FAR cheaper to do safe work, than new cars... meaning money out of pocket wise... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

The inventory can be quite expensive, but as Shiva says, the tools aren't too bad.

There are other tools to add to Shiva's list, depending on your work.

o A safe lift for moving the big models. o Welding equipment to repair holes o Paint touch up equipment, o Metalworking tools such as angle grinders, files, etc. o An autodialer (??? maybe not). o A heavy duty truck to deliver and pick up large models

There are a lot more tools that I see mentioned frequently as I read up on the opening and serviceing of safes. These are just the ones that come to mind.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

you a re correct... if one gets into a FULL service, moving and installing, then add the trailer, pickup, and the mover, but, these can be added later...

welder? mig rig can be had for $400 or so... grinders and sanders $200-300

auto dialer is an iffy... $2-5 grand IF it warrants having one. i do not know if anyone in my STATE has one, I know of 7 safe shops around in 150 miles there is not one... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I agree with you gary, but a lot of guys wont let people watch, the market is very brutal with all the wanna bees in it that just jump in for a minimal investment and call themselves a safe man. why teach them all your secrets just to have them be your competitor.

Reply to
todd

For training...consider specialized schools like

Lockmasters

Mark Bates

Harvey Arkawy

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

The most important thing you will need are good reference materials. Try Lockmasters or TNL. They might seem expensive but they are actually quite cheap considering the use you will get from them and the money they will make you. As far as what to work on learn the various Sentrys first. They are common and people are always locking themselves out of them.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

2-5 thousand is too much for an autodialer. If you really want one they can be had for 1000-1500 or so less used. With used like anything else buyer beware. Be aware that after being auto dialed you should replace the lock as auto dialing puts a LARGE amount of wear and tear on it. As far as 5000.00 way too much, you can buy Softdrill for 7500.00 although I am told they will negotiate on that if they know you are serious. It only works on a pretty limited number of models currently however.

If you want to start with manipulation the best tools you can buy are a hairline index and a simple magnifying class with fixture to mount it on the safe you are doing. Available inexpensively from any supply house, Lockmasters etc.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I personally prefer not to have the combination to anyones safe. If they insist or it's obvious that they just aren't or refuse to become capable of setting it I will set it, but I prefer to let them do it themselves.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Reply to
Jim Gaynor