Keys found in UK

Hiya folks,

A friend of mine found these keys in the garden of a house in London UK, would anyone be able to provide any information on what kind of locks they fitted or history about them, including perhaps if they have unique serial numbers that could be traceable back to the original owner ?

Nanos.

Reply to
Nanos

Keys almost never have "unique serial numbers that could be traceable back to the original owner". (Think about it: If someone found your keys, isn't there a hazard they'd "return" the keys at 3AM sometime and help themselves to a reward? This is why "please return" tags should always go through a trusted third party.)

Interesting that these are all keys from American lock companies. Either someone had a bunch of imported locks, or whoever lost the keys in the UK was a tourist. I would presume this means you've got close to zero chance of finding the owner.

Some of the numbers you're seeing are "open codes" -- a direct indication of what the cuts on the key were when it left the factory. (Both the Corbins.) Some appear to be manufacturer's codes, which provide the same kind of information in less obvious form.

Yes, the "C" is a G. The "Cent sign" is a stylized ampersand. The "ID" on the Corbins appears to be 1D.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

just some keys. nothing special about them I can see..

Reply to
"Keyman

In germany more and more have, because they belong to masterkey systems and the ID is unique.

HEre the only way would be to return them to the manufacturer. But I do not know if they pass them to the owner or if they would destroythem and give the owner a notice of this or just do nothing.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

I'm not entirely sure what you were expecting. The three longer ones are for pin tumbler locks almost certainly mounted in a door. The small one is likely for a padlock. From there appearance I would guesstimate that they are somewhere between 10 and 30 years old.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

snipped-for-privacy@nanos.org.uk

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

dge.uoregon.edu!arclight.uoregon.edu!news.ibm.net.il!ibm.net!newsfeed.uk.p rserv.net!newsfeed2.us.prserv.net!prserv.net!news1.prserv.net!12.64.140.190

Not exactly sure who you're responding to? My comment was to the OP who seemed dissapointed he didn't get more information. So I gave him what little you hadn't already provided.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Just seconding your expression of puzzlement. Maybe I should have left it as "Whaddaya want, kid? Egg in your beer?"

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

LOL

Reply to