Masterlock help

Hoping someone can save me the hassle (and of course the expense) of carting a footlocker to my local locksmith to get a masterlock off. I suppose I could cut it off, but it would be hard to do without damaging the footlocker. I've read about the sticky places method of figuring it out but all 12 "stops" seem the same to me. I'd be happy to paypal a few bucks for the service--since it will save me time and $$. The serial number is 904439. Thanks for your help---

Tim McNair MD

-- snipped-for-privacy@mac.com--

Reply to
Tim McNair

We have no way of knowing it's yours, hence we can't ethically help you here. (How would you feel if we gave the neighborhood kids the combo to your lock? How would you feel if someone asked you to write a perscription for them by mail because they can't be bothered to make time to see a doctor?)

Cut it off, or deal with a local locksmith to whom you can prove your identity and bona fides.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

No problem---thought of cutting it off--but afraid I'd damage the hasp (I think it's called) on the footlocker. Figured if someone could help it would save me the trip and a few $$--I understand the points you've made and they are valid. Cheers, Tim

Reply to
timmac

Tim --

You can save yourself a trip by paying the local lockie to come out to you. Also depending on your relationship with him, it may be possible that he can look up the combination without you having to cart the whole thing to him.

There are 3 non destructive ways I'd use to get this open, and manipulation is not one of them. There are several ways destructively as well.

If it is a regular padlock, you should have little trouble getting a bolt cutter on it without damaging the hasp. Don't try hacksawing it, you will not enjoy it.

-- A

Reply to
Absinthe