Replace a 6730 with an electronic?

Howdy, locksmiths!

I was considering replacing the lock (a S&G 6730) with possibly an electronic keypad (if you want to know why... it's because I don't like all the dial-spinning and also because I'd like to have more than one combo so that I can give someone else temporary access), and I had a few questions:

1 - First off, is this a bad idea? Is there something I don't know about electronic keypad locks that make them much more vulnerable to compromise than a dial of 6730's ilk? (assuming, of course, that the keypad I got wasn't so awful that the wires leading through the door went straight to the bolt solenoid)

2 - How standard is the 6130 footprint? Understandably, I want a "drop-in" replacement. Would I have to go with a S&G offering, or does just about everybody offer something with that form-factor?

3 - What are some weaknesses/strengths that are particular to keypads that I should watch out for?

4 - Any particular model selections? Keep in mind that the *security* of my current 6130 is perfectly suitable for me. I'm in a plain-jane neighborhood and I don't have anything super-vaulable nor do I give people the appearances thereof. So, Tom Cruise and his IM team aren't going to be swooping in from the ceiling to crack my safe. More likely, it would be some teen punk looking to steal some jewelry. So, something on-par with the 6130 would be sufficient.

- Joe

Reply to
joe

go for it.. the wiring thru the hole into the innards cannot be 'spiked' AFAIK, on the S&G electronic version, thereby opening the door.. I believe the foot print is the same as far as mounting screws, too

if you DID get 'burgled' , without some more serious work, all you are going to have happen is the keypad destroyed.. but without some more serious work, it would still be 'safe'..

the keypad is basically a keypad and the power supply.. the 'brains' and control mechanisms are NOT in the key pad, but within the inner part totally.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Ottawa Canada

Hi Joe:

You don't need an electronic lock to grant temporary access to someone.

Do what the bank does, do a combination change to grant the temporary access, and another combination change to revoke it!

Nicre thing about mechanical locks is they fail gradually usually, giving you time to call in a Safeman before it locks you out.

Electronic locks when they die have catastrophic results, usually causing a lockout.

For this reason alone, a mechanical lock is preferred over an electronic.

Brian

( snipped-for-privacy@emenaker.com) writes: > Howdy, locksmiths! >

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

UV or IR sensitive ink on the keypad will quickly tell anyone who uses UV or IR light on it the numbers in the combo which may or may not be all that useful depending on how many different numbers you use. The ink will quickly wear off the numbers you use but not the rest. This method works good for finding the combo used on Simplex and other push button mechanical locks too. The more of the available numbers used in the combo the less usefull the technique is.

(assuming, of course, that the

They don't but that doesn't mean that the solonoid wires can't be drilled to and accessed by someone who knows how.

Reply to
Tim Mathews