Replace a steam with a parachute

I am a newbie with these rockets. I have built & flown several (Alpha III, Lucky Seven, Swift) so far. Some of the kits that I have come with a "streamer". Can I replace this
with a parachute? I am already pretty good at making 'chutes out of Wal-Mart bags. What does the streamer do, anyway?
GreenLight wrote:

Yes you can replace a streamer with a 'chute as long as it fits in the tube - but get ready to chase it a lot further, or even lose it on windy days.Streamers are often best for lightweight models because it will drop faster thereby drifting less in the wind. If the kit came with a streamer I'd stay with it, unless you are entering a PD contest
Dale Greene SPAAR 503
On deployment, a streamer flaps back and forth interrupting the air flow, and keeps the model in a non-ballistic descent configuration. With lighter models, a streamer is all you need to slow the craft enough to keep it from damage on contact with mother earth. It is also easier to replace a streamer when damaged, and is simpler to preflight pack than a parachute.
Cheers!
~ Duane Phillips.