(Safety): One note on spiders and stuff :(

When about to pick open a repo house, a cellar door, a back door that hasen't been used or a generally unpleasent structure not wanting attention from human devices, always be cautious of bees, wasps, roaches, mites, spiders, rats, feces, ETC...(Not embarresed to say I wear latex gloves and a breather mask in 'some rare situations', you know, the kind where you say to the customer, "OK, Ill go in and secure the back door, but only for $10,000 dollars...firm!).

Today, I was working on a glass store front door, it had an adams wright three point locking system, the problem was the lower linkage on the active leaf, needed to be extended a turn or two because it was hanging up on the guide-bracket hole (key doesnt turn all the way). Reaching and without looking, I grabbed the bottom of the door where the linkage extends and felt a squish/pop. It was a black widow spider the size of my thumbnail I had squished with my bare finger, (but now alot thinner and without as much girth as I assume it'd had before). This isn't suprising since I live in the desert, but what was I thinking? After all, I live in the desert! Hey, live and learn.

I'll always use my 'extendable dental mirror' to scope the bottom of the door edge for arachnids before checking for linkage wear... This keeps possible neorotoxins from getting into the bloodstream.

Just a tip on safety,

mac

Reply to
Mac

hey Mac... come down to Australia and check out some of our critters.... and yes I have one of those mirrors, my wife is a dental nurse..

steve

Reply to
steve

I was called to do a double wide this last week, and I agree, gloves CAN be useful now and then.. The bank wanted it done cheap as possible, but, I asked what they were going to do with it, and he replied that he had called the local fire dept, and they were going to use it for practice and burn it down-it was too far gone to save..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

the best one I heard was a locksmith trying to do a repo pick open, at the top of a flight of stairs.

He got the lock, and as the door swung open, sitting in the dark was a very large, very dark man with a shotgun across his lap. And he said quietly "now you can just close it again."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Repo's are pretty scary, but the really dangerous stuff is the domestic re-key. The situation where the locksmith ends up in between two vicious hateful spouces. Any good stories?

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.

person locked out of house.. got there, BOTH parties AND PARENTS..

EACH had a restraining order on the other...they told me so as I got out of the car.. I just got back in my vehicle, and as I LEFT, I said to them, I think this one needs to let the police figure out.. SOMEONE will go to jail.. don't go away, I will go call it in for ya.,...they didn't think of THAT..

#2.. lady sold a house.. new owners get posession in 30 days at noon... new owners called me and said could I meet them at the house they were moving into at 1pm as the owner was supposed to be gone by noon... sure..

the selling owner had NOT even started packing her stuff, and told new owners (whining all the while) it would take her at least 30 days to get her stuff moved..

new owners said, they HAD to have posession, AND there was a $100 a day penalty for EVERY day she took.. PLUS living expenses for the new owners in addition-it was in the contract she signed.. she really cried then.,..they had moved everything out of THEIR house, for its new owners that morning..

ended up 3 deputy sheriffs came out and told the lady she HAD to move, she signed the papers, and it was legal.. she was out at 5pm...and I re keyed..

#3.. landlord called, needed help with a problem.. previous tenant was kicked out by the court for non payment.. front door was split, rotten floor under dish washer, it had leaked for 6 months and he didn't care... stool was falling thru the floor-ditto, plus bathroom floor had a severe burn hole in floor and sub floor..

various other burned spots around, lots of cans of lye and 'related stuff'..

he was selling/making drugs, but it could not be proved.. and then had the gall to try to rent another place and he called up and needed a 'reference' for his NEW landlord.. he got one...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I rekeyed the same house 5 times in one month, she kicked him out, then he managed to get in somehow, and called me back to rekey etc etc etc, can't remember who ended up with the house :-)

********************************************************************************************************************************

Got a job to open up a woman's house as she had misplaced her key, and make keys to the 'existing' key code, as house was all K/A. Five minutes after opening the house a very large fire engine slammed into the drive, and about 8 firemen bailed me up against the van, while another big fireman tore into the house. She was his ex, and was after something in the house, he had a silent alarm fitted which I'd tripped. At least he was decent about it and came out to pay me for the job, I gave him the keys :-)

Reply to
Steve Paris

No, I don't anymore either, but this sure was a funny job. Both really nice people, and they seemed to think it was hilarious getting me back every few weeks to do the locks. I said to each that they should at least call another locksmith, but they would not hear of it, as they both liked my service. I was never called to open the house to actually let them in to change the locks, so I don't know how the other one ended up with the new keys each time. Maybe they were on again, off again, but they both always had a good laugh at the situation.

The ones I really hate are the ones where the wife has got a restraining order against a violent crazy husband who keeps on coming around to cause trouble, and your trying to work as fast as possible while looking over your shoulder.

Reply to
Steve Paris

Bill Reed was giving classes here once and asked about funny stories.. seems there was a couple in the town to my east, that was having a semi peaceful divorce.. and had Medeco locks on the house..

so, wife got company A to change the locks, and then hubby got company B to change em again. they were BOTH quite happy, making a small fortune off this couple and didnt care if they ever got the divorce done..having rekeyed the house every 10 days or so for the last 4 months/..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

One time I went to a house lockout, the lady was naked so she used the door mat in the garage as a skirt. On a different occation, a 2:00 AM. house opening, I had to pound on the car window to wake up a naked couple that had fallen asleep in their car, while waiting for me to arrive and unlock thier house. He He..

Mac

Reply to
Mac