WKW Super Chief Cars... a Note on one of them...

In the past discussions about the upcoming WKW HO scale Super Chief sets, someone mentioned that Walthers was simply reissuing one of the earlier sleepers for this set, while creating a new one to cover the other (I have my

4-4-2's and 10-6's confused at the moment).

In speaking with someone who has the earlier Walthers passenger car releases, he claims to have checked the stock numbers on the boxes of the existing ATSF sleepers, against those of the upcoming cars, and Walthers has in fact issued all new stock numbers for both versions of the upcoming sleepers. None of the early sleepers' stock numbers (both 4-4-2's and 10-6's) match those of the upcoming versions.

So... is WKW simply rehashing the old model under a new number, or are they in fact doing a different version of the model this time around? It will be interesting to see...

Reply to
Sean S

We won't know for sure until we see them. The current 10-6 "Pine" car actually represents a UP prototype which is a close stand-in for the SF version. The new release should have the correct fluting above the windows. As for the 4-4-2 the current release is of the SF prototype so it's hard to figure that any changes will be made. Maybe just a decal set? I'd like to see them remove that roof panel that doesn't seem to appear in any of the pictures I can find of this car.

Jim Bright

Reply to
jhbright

The 10-6 is definitely a new model.

The 4-4-2 as shown so far in the advertising is the same as the prewar

4-4-2 they released previously. They may have issued a new part number just to make the next run fall into the series with the Super Chief, or it may be packaged or priced differently. It would be nice if they did the Regal postwar 4-4-2, but last I heard, they weren't planning on it.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

I hadn't thought of that, it could be as simple as a change in the decal set.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

IIRC the 1st 10-6 was just a bit different from an ATSF 10-6, though with my withering memory I can't remember how it was different. Looking forward to seeing these new ones to compare.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

The UP Pacific 10-6 has a smooth letterboard above the windows the full length of the car. The Santa Fe Pine 10-6 has fluting above the windows and an overlay letterboard. A couple of other minor differences, but that's the easiest to spot.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

The rolling rolltop desk. That's it.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

Yep. Only other cars like it are the CB&Q cars and the pre-war Santa Fe Budd cars. As far as I know. No roofline bead at all. Pretty cool.