tool(s) for rekeying Master ProSeries 6121 padlock

Can anyone tell me the correct tool used in disassembling a Master ProSeries 6121? It looks like a star tool of unknown size would be appropriate, but maybe a hex wrench. I haven't been able to find a good fit so far.

Reply to
Rob Andrews LockSports

Torx?

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

allen wrench- get a new set and you will not ruin the socket head cap screw, using old worn out one will ruin the screw.

I dont know what size it is maybe 7/64"

Reply to
JOCK tec

I'm not sure either; I just know that a filed-down hex wrench from my grandfather's kit fit it perfectly.

Master probably has a spec sheet on these which would give you the proper size plus info on what size pins and springs it takes and so on. Contact them directly?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

I've sent them an email asking the question. Their website is so marketing-oriented, it took a small bit of digging to find the right page to ask the question.

_The Complete Book of Locks and Locksmithing_ (5th ed., p. 205) provides half the answer, "an appropriately sized hex wrench".

Thanks, all, for the helpful replies.

Reply to
Rob Andrews LockSports

give you the

takes and so on.

is so

the right

205)

wrench".

take a Master ProSeries 6121 padlock to a tool store and see what fits.

no flame intended

Reply to
"Key

But but but... that makes _sense_! Is that allowed here?

Don't forget to check metric as well as fractional inch.

Or: Just go out and buy a decent set of hex wrenches, both inch and metric, and be done with it. If you're going to continue mucking about with anything mechanical, you're gonna need 'em all sooner or later; better to make the (rather small) investment and have 'em on hand rather than going through this all again next time you're handed something odd.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

The mounting screw ( part number Master 6121-0422 ) is a stainless steel socket head cap screw 7/64 x 15/16.

So the correct tool is a 7/64" hexagonal wrench (allen wrench).

This information is per Master Lock ProSeries Padlock Technical Manual Issue

4.02.

Ed Jasper

Reply to
Ed Jasper

No flame taken.

I actually tried this before posting, and we weren't able to find a fit.

I've since heard back from Masterlock, and it turns out to be a 7/64" hexagonal wrench.

Reply to
Rob Andrews LockSports

to find a

must have been a cheap tool-store :-)