unmarked blanks

Any suggestions for quickly finding the right blank for an unmarked original. It takes me a long time.

Reply to
Pam Cohen

Two ways :

1 - purchase an electronic profile reader - Silca make one.

2 - Practice & experience, lots and lots of looking at keys (usually over months & years) does the trick.

Paul

Reply to
oldlock

.. in my area... for a house/business, I deal with 3 mainly.. KW, Schlage, and Yale.. Weiser/Weslock are 'now and then'.. maybe yours is the same.. Yale you can tell quickly.. keep a ring handy of whats the major used in your area, so you can grab and compare.. or keep an empty plug/lock of that, and see..DO REMEMBER that some will 'interchange' with others.., meaning they will go in, but that should get you closer the small 'yale type' round head, to me are the PITA..hundreds of them..

head shape? sometimes the 'aftermarket ' use the same head shape as original.. the genuine neuter bow, are not that common in usage here, .. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

And recogniing, that a brand X blank often fits perfectly in a brand y lock :-)

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Send the unmarked blanks to a locksmith? I think that's why Proline was invented. So the hardware guy couldn't find it in his book, and would send the key to a locksmith.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But "fits" and "fits perfectly" are not always the same. One example would be AR1 and KW1.

A KW1 will fit into an AR1 keyway (but a AR1 won't fit into a KW1). However, inserting the KW1 into the AR1 keyway can sometimes be a little tricky until the customer gets used to it.

Another example...

Some KW1s (depending on the blank manufacturer) will be tight (really tight) in some Dexter keyways.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Neuter Bow blanks... The poor man's "key control"!

;)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

FACTORY Schlage, may NOT necessarily go into 'aftermaket' Schlage cylinders, either

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

We use the Lector from Silca. Wery good. And with the PC program the possibilities are a lot bigger. Show comparatives and alternatives. In the nordic countries is this a common machine in Locksmith shops

Reply to
E Hallstensen