anisotropic etch of aluminum or steel

Hi all,
I'm trying to find out if there is a process similar to etching silicon with KOH to create a V shaped groove with a sidewall angle of
about 60 degrees in metal (aluminum, copper, steel, etc).
my gut feeling says no, but I'm hoping that there is :)
Thanks
Tim
snipped-for-privacy@work.com wrote:

Well, you could make V-grooves in silicon with KOH, and then transfer them to the steel by attaching the Si and etching the whole works with more KOH. ;)
You can't usefully do anisotropic etch on a polycrystalline material (e.g. almost all metal samples), but the gray scale mask trick might work, if you don't need crystallographic precision. You obviously wouldn't use a silicon gray scale mask, but you could use some sort of polymer that dissolves slowly in your etchant--which makes the holes get wider during the etch, and so produces sloping sidewalls. The sidewall angle you get depends on the etch selectivity and the size of the features--big deep holes and small shallow holes will deplete the etchant differently.
Cheers,
Phil Hobbs