aluminum alloy

Dear Sirs,

Can somebody tell me which aluminum alloy will corrode higher in 3% NaCl solution: EN AW-5005 (with 0.8% Mg) or EN AW-5052 (with 2.6% Mg). I would like to get complete explanation. Can you also tell me where I can find explanations in theory about my question (some easily accessible book, scientific papers, or free web sites)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Reply to
Jimmy Whinter

Jimmy:

You can find an answer in the Metals Handbook, 9th Edition, Volume 13, Corrosion, ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, 1987. See page 586. Go find it in your friendly local engineering library.

If you prefer fooling around online, then go look it up in the Alubook.

There are many forms of corrosion. Go to:
see the more recent general section on this topic from ASM Handbook Volume 11, Failure Analysis and Prevention, ASM International, 2002

The best online textbook on aluminum alloys (and including their corrosion behavior) is Talat

at sections 5101, 5102 and particularly 5103 Corrosion control of aluminium - forms of corrosion and prevention
Pittsburgh Pete

DISCLAIMER

We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy.

Reply to
metalengr