Degradation of HDPE from alkali A-glass

Does anyone know how long it takes the strength of HDPE to degrade, when it is reinforced with A-glass? Are there additives which can be used to treat HDPE, to make it less reactive with high-alkali glass fibers? (Short of using non-alkali glasses, that is.)

Thanks in advance, -- TTK

Reply to
TTK Ciar

It's the glass fibre which degrades, not the polymer. Many, many years ago the UK Rubber and Plastics Research Association did a series of long-term weathering tests on a variety of thermoset resins, reinforced with E and A glass in various forms.

I don't think it ever got to termination, but the A-glass laminates degraded very quickly. The only way in which you might improve matters is to leach the alkali out of the fibres with nitric acid, say, to leave a silica skeleton, then re-treat that with a binding agent.

Reply to
Terry Harper

Once upon a time, "Terry Harper" said: [..]

Thank you, both of you, Terry and Al. I was looking at the HDPE when I should have been looking at the A-glass. Now that I'm on the right track, I'm finding many references for this same problem. I'm grateful.

-- TTK

Reply to
TTK Ciar