Diamond cutting

Dear friends
I have recently heard that it is not appropriate to cut steel with diamond wheels, because the high wear of the cutting wheel. The reason
which explains this fact is that carbon from the diamond diffusses to the steel (carburizing), when sufficient heat is produced (cutting without lubrication or refrigeration). Is this assesment true? We normally cut steel with Alumina or SiC wheels when preparing specimens for metallography.
Thank you