Cutting up Golden Ray with diamond chain

<https://gcaptain.com/heres-how-they-plan-to-cut-up-and-remove-the-golden-ray/ There's an animation of using a "diamond-encrusted cutting chain" in a video in
the article linked above, which is about how the VB-10000 will be used to cut the Golden Ray into 8 pieces. "The public should expect a lot of noise throughout the operation", according to the article.
It seems odd to me that they are using diamond rather than tungsten carbide. It appears that the chain ipm will be fairly low, so absorption of diamond into the steel being cut might not be a major problem, but I'd think properly shaped carbide teeth would cut more aggressively and probably be less expensive to start.
The VB-10000 was in Florida last week and will be in Georgia shortly, per <https://gcaptain.com/crews-readying-heavy-lift-vessel-vb-10000-for-golden-ray-salvage/
--
jiw

On 7/13/2020 12:21 PM, James Waldby wrote:

What do they think will happen to the 4,200 vehicles inside?
David
https://www.avg.com
David R. Birch wrote:

Well, half of them have been submerged in sea water for a year. The other half have either been hanging from hold-down chains, sideways for a year in a humid environment, or they have busted the chains and they are ALL in the seawater. Other than scrap metal, there's not much they are good for, except horror photos.
I can't imagine how the insurance company dealt with this, but it sounds like a bottomless money pit. Vessel written off, cargo written off, now they have to pay for removing millions of $ of asset. WOW!
Jon

I think they expect the diamond saw to go through them.
("No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die.")
And then it all goes to the scrap yard.
Elijah ------ can't imagine you'd get better than a salvage title for any of them
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 08:56:38 -0500, "David R. Birch"
Some of them will be sliced in half. No problem. They are all write-offs anyway.
There was a somewhat similar accident back in 2002, where the "Tricolor" sank in the English Channel. It was also sawn to pieces before each piece was removed.
The salvage company (Smit) made a Youtube video on the salvage operation. I think you can see some halved cars there.
--
RoRo

On 7/13/2020 10:21 AM, James Waldby wrote:

They should just pump it full of ping pong balls.
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 07:51:03 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

Or perhaps footballs, soccer balls, and basketballs ... there are lots of those not in use at the moment.
If it is the case that displacing all the water inside with lightweight stuff would float the boat, I wonder whether insulating foam (eg polyurethane 2-part spray foam) can be applied and expanded underwater?
--
jiw

On 7/16/2020 1:05 PM, James Waldby wrote:

In Robert Scott's book, "God is my Co-Pilot", he describes raising a P-40 from a river where it landed after being shot down. Native divers kept lashing more bamboo to the wings until it floated to the surface.
Steve

===============================The Costa Concordia was raised with floats too. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28288823
During WW2 we built and moved huge drydocks to remote Pacific atolls to lift and patch the damaged hulls of our largest warships. https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/the-massive-floating-dry-docks-of-the-pacific-fleet-that-could-carry-battleships-and-aircraft-carriers-you-never-heard-about.html