belt size

Does anyone know which of the small v belts would be used with a 1.5 hp 1700 rpm motor? My 9/20 lathe with a 3/4 horse power motor uses one with a width of approximately 1/4 inch. Next size up for 1.5 hp?

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

I'd go with a 4L belt , IIRC it's about 7/16" wide at the top .

Reply to
Snag

Does anyone know which of the small v belts would be used with a 1.5 hp 1700 rpm motor? My 9/20 lathe with a 3/4 horse power motor uses one with a width of approximately 1/4 inch. Next size up for 1.5 hp?

Hul

==================================

My first choice for a new installation is the B sized belts and pulleys the hardware store carries, mostly due to their easy availability. One seems adequate for the 240V, 15A 3450 RPM motor on my cobbled-together 60 gallon air compressor, though it did stretch and loosen at first. If it fails I'll put a smaller pulley on the motor to reduce the pump speed. The one on it now is 4", the proper size to match the nominal pump speed would be 3.8", and I bought a 3.5" just in case.

The B belt on my 6.5 HP "hand-crafted" (home-made) sawmill has held up well through several months of daily use. I did have one fail on the home-made hydraulic pump drive on my 18 HP tractor, but it had lasted a while and slowing the pump by giving it a larger pulley cured the problem. Edge cords broke and caused the belt to roll sideways where it lacked the grip to drive the pump.

My 3HP snow blower takes an A size belt, the 7 HP one uses B belts.

The rated horsepower can be calculated if you have the belt data, which is unlikely for hardware store belts.

I've run the numbers for shaft fatigue life and Lovejoy coupler rating for which all the data is available, but just adjust or replace belts with better Gates ones as needed if I run them too close to their capacity. Like WW2 aircraft engines I use the strengthen-whatever-breaks design principle rather than trying to measure and calculate everything, especially peak dynamic loading.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

[...]

===========

I should have looked up the sizes. Put 3L where I wrote A and 4L for B.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim - engineersedge sounds good; I'll take a look. Efficiency is the first consideration at this point and the smaller the belt, for the V types, the less loss. The same assumptions indicate a thin flat belt with hi tensile fibers would be better. The v types are easy to work with though.

Hul

Jim Wilk> Does anyone know which of the small v belts would be used with

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Is the 4L you mentioned one of the smaller types? Also, any idea of who makes them?

Hul

Snag <Snag snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Ned Simmons

I checked mcmaster. They had only the large v belts, unfortunantly. The small belts (those on the 9/20 lathes are 3/16 in. wide for 3/4 hp) apparantly are made only by Gates and they have calculator for figuring belt size but it requires some learning. I was hoping for someone with a Chinese 12/36 lathe and 1.5 hp motor who might check the belt size.

Hul

Ned Simm> > >Is the 4L you mentioned one of the smaller types? Also, any idea

Reply to
Hul Tytus

You can look yourself. Grizzly has decent manuals and that lathe:

Seems it uses a 2hp single phase motor and "V-Belt A29"

Parts manual is here, pdf page 15:

Leon Fisk

Thanks Leon. That should answer the question.

Hul