EAP's?.

I've been reading a lot about EAP Gels. All give a rather general description of the chemical composition.. but no specifics.. could some one
please give me a clue what "polar phase" is added to silicon. Given the following description I found online.
" These EAP materials are composites of silicone elastomer and a polar phase. Before crosslinking, in the uncured state, they behave as electro- rheological fluids. An electric field is applied during curing to orient and fix in position the polar phase in the elastomeric matrix. These materials then remain in the "solid" state but have a shear modulus (both real and imaginary parts) that changes with applied electric field (< 6 V/mm) [Shiga, 1997]. A stronger magneto-rheological effect can also be introduced in an analogous manner and as much as a 50% change in the shear modulus can be induced [Davis, 1999]. These materials may be used as alternatives to electrorheological fluids. "
Thanks DaveC