Reverse Electrorheological Material?

Are there any materials that act in a manner opposite to electrorheological materials? (i.e. are normally solid or semi-solid but liquify when subjected to an electric field)

Reply to
degroof

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

electrorheological materials? (i.e. are normally solid or semi-solid but liquify when subjected to

Hi,

I'm a polymerist a have therefore a little knowledge in rheology, but in fact, I have few regarding the effects of electric field on the rheological behaviour of materials.

Anyway, may I leave you my opinions. Such materials that increase viscosity upon mechanical stress are well-known and called dilatants or shear thickening materials. A good example for this is wet sand, but this kind of behaviour is also often found in highly concentrated suspensions, where solid particles are mixed with a little plasticizer or resin. At low shear or at rest, the materials behaves like a liquid because the liquid perfectly wets the solid particles, which can move easily from one another. But at higher shear, the liquid no longer wets the particles, which interact strongly and the material look as if it is viscous. I don't know whether these materials can also increase viscosity under an electric field, but I suppose so. If one can make these particles to interact, I presume that the material will behave this way. The question is : are the particles as sensitive to electric field as they are to mechanical stress ? And for that, I suppose that it strongly depends on the nature of your particle, maybe their zeta potential, and also the nature of the medium. Maybe can I suggest that you post a question in the following newsgroup, dedicated to polymers : sci.polymers

Hope this will help. Best regards.

Nicolas DELFAU snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.fr

Reply to
Nicolas DELFAU