Sterling Silver Alloying Agents

I am interested in the alloying agents used in sterling silver. I am told that different agents have been used through time/place and would like information on which ones and their impact on tarnishing and polishing. Particularly whether some alloying elements would promote pitting or other corrosion effect in polishing solutions.

Reply to
rocky

I think the standard for Sterling Silver, by definition, is 90% Silver,

10% copper. The older the silver, the higher the likelihood that there are other trace elements in it, being that refinement techniques have advanced over time. There are probably a lot of forgeries, too. The tarnishment problem is often incorporated into tableware designs, with the lines and creases in the pattern meant to highlight the artistic features after a superficial polish.-Jitney
Reply to
jtnospam

Tarnishing is the silver corroding, just like copper, aluminum ....

So to my understanding, You would have to stop corrosion to stop tarnishing, alloying to that point it would no longer be considered sterling silver, plating

Reply to
tfagan