how to increase hardness

if we have CAST IRON sample of BHN 150 , how do we decide amount of carbon that should be added to it to make the BHN of 190

Cast irons, in general are heat treatable (and already have lots of carbon). 150 Brinell is a very soft iron. 190 isn't much harder, but you should be able to achieve it through a standard hardening heat treatment and then keep on tempering it until you get the desired hardness.
can we calculate the amount of carbon required to do this opeartion before hand?
jas wrote:

What kind of operation?
Michael Dahms
BTW: You might want to study http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html