IR Dye for Epoxy

I am looking for a dye which can be added to transparent epoxy (like

which will restrict the transmission to 800-1000nm.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Swanson

I am looking for a dye which can be added to transparent epoxy (like

which will restrict the transmission to 800-1000nm.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Swanson

Do you mean you want to block all visible light and let IR through? That should be fairly easy, most dyes are transparent in the near IR. You just have to find some that don't react with the epoxy and bleach. You'll likely need more than one to cover the entire visible.

Blocking IR is more difficult. I know of one dye, Pro Jet 900NP, that absorbs pretty well up to at least 950 nm and is compatible with epoxy resin.

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Swartling

Check out:

Years ago, they made special epoxy for us for fiber optic connectors. It had some special IR optical properties. As I remember, it had to fasten the glass fiber to the ferrule but still prevent loss of light. Al

Reply to
Al

Many years ago, what was American Cyanamid was making dyes of that nature. Their subsidiary Glendale Optical, as it was called then, was using such dyes for laser protective goggles. You ought to be able to track that down.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle