Magnesium vs. Aluminium Fatigue Strength Data Needed

Hello Dear Forum!

As in subject, I am in need of ANY general _comparable_ fatigue strength characteristics (data/charts?) concerning advantages (disadvantages?) of magnesium alloys over aluminum ones (in this area).

Would be grateful for any suggestions, time is a matter...

Greetz! Adam

Reply to
TheYvid

As you probably know, the fatigue limit of aluminum alloys is zero or very close to zero. I have no data for magnesium, but suspect the fatigue behavior of the the alloys of that metal is similar.

Rgds

JS

"TheYvid" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@I.love.you... | Hello Dear Forum! | | As in subject, I am in need of ANY general _comparable_ | fatigue strength characteristics (data/charts?) concerning | advantages (disadvantages?) of magnesium alloys over | aluminum ones (in this area). | | Would be grateful for any suggestions, time is a matter... | | Greetz! | Adam | | -- | DH rules | theyvid (at) fancol (dot) com | iseekyou: 49894592

Reply to
J.S.

Yeah, I know that both aluminium and magnesium alloys don't possess the fatigue limit (e.g. in contrast to steel or titanium), but I found some info saing that the fatigue strength of Mg is in general much better than Al alloys anyway.

So I just need a confirmation (or a contadiction...) of this in any realiable - and comparable - measured test results (I have found something already, but there seems to be no way to any make comparison - the tests were run with quite different initial conditions).

Thank you, Greetings

Reply to
TheYvid

Head for a good library...... call them before you go or look in their online catalog.

Is it correct to infer that you are unfamiliar with the subject of fatigue? If so, then there are additional references that would be useful, such as Carroll Smith "Engineer to Win" .... a book on the engineering uses of materials in race vehicles.

Jim

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Atlas of Fatigue Curves edited by H.E. Boyer, 518pp, 1986, ISBN: 0871702142

Contains more than 500 fatigue curves for industrial ferrous and nonferrous alloys. Also includes a thorough explanation of fatigue testing and interpretation of test results. Each curve is presented independently and includes an explanation of its particular importance. The curves are titled by standard industrial designations (AISI, CDA, AA, etc.) of the metals, and a complete reference is given to the original source to facilitate further research. The correction includes standard S-N curves, curves showing effect of surface hardening on fatigue strength, crack growth-rate curves, curves comparing the fatigue strengths of various alloys, effect of variables (i.e. temperature, humidity, frequency, aging, environment, etc.) and much, much more.

Reply to
jbuch