Metal single crystal

Hi all,
I would ask if is it reasonably feasible to obtain a *perfect* single crystal (size of one to some mm) from a typical metal (no borderlines, such Bi, Sb, etc.).
Now, admitting that such task could be accomplisced, even only theoretically, what should happen if (ideally) one tries to elongate it along the direction(s) of its principal symmetry axes with a smoothly increasing force? That crystal would be split in two other single crystals, or the applied force will cause it first to become a polycrystalline, somewhat inelastic sample before its rupture?
Thanks for your attention.
Ciao, Angelo
Angelo wrote:

Perfection is a philosophical concept. In science and engineering, we think in terms of acceptable tolerance.
Michael Dahms

I've the same feeling, but my correspondant (mentioned in my reply to Uncle Al) seems to think different.

Ciao, Angelo