Natural rubber adhesive

Hi,

I am stiking natural rubber to black anodized aluminium.

The best I found is double sided masking tape. The adhesive is NR. Shear strength is great but peel strength needs to be better.

Cyanoacrylates work but are rigid.

I am looking for ways to make the bond more permanent. Like vulcanisation.

Thank you,

Eric Girard

Reply to
gagir

Some options: a)a thicker adhesive b)a primer/adhesion promoter c)stiffen up the natural rubber. It's well known that a stiffer backing on tape leads to higher peel values. i.e., If you coat the same adhesive with the same thickness on a 20 lb paper and on a 80 lb paper, the latter will give you a significantly higher peel strength. There is and there isn't a certain degree of gamesmanship in this approach. I won't go into the details unless you ask for them and sign a release waiver holding me not responsible for providing you with a massive information overload.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

Quoting from RUBBER IN ENGINEERING (Chemical Publishing Co., 1946), page 175:

"To obtain high-performance bonds between rubbers and metals, the bonding must be carried out during vulcanization. The most important bonding methods are those dependent upon brass-plating, upon the use of chlorinated resinous materials such as chlorinated rubber, or upon the use of cyclo-rubbers."

And later, from pages 176-177:

"The most important commercial method of bonding is undoubtedly that depending upon the adhesion of rubber to brass. Excellent adhesion is obtained and the bond is not heat sensitive. Not all types of brass will bond to rubber and the actual composition appears to depend to a large extent on the reactivity of the rubber compound. In this country, the ratio favoured appears to be usually about 70 parts of copper to 30 of zinc, but in the United States it tends to be rather higher in copper

-- 75/25. It should be understood, however, that bonds have been obtained with brasses of compositions differing widely from those just quoted. If it is possible to deposit a coherent and adherent brass layer on any metal or alloy, then it is possible to bond rubber to it. Iron, steel, stainless steel, brass, bronze, aluminum and duralumin can be successfully bonded either to natural or synthetic rubber in this way."

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Well, any pertinent information is welcome. If you dont't mind me contacting you directly?

Eric Girard

vulcanisation.

Reply to
gagir

Eric,

Look at

Quinn

Try one of the popular nitrile/phenolic resin blends for an excellent heat setting adhesive. I used them for YEARS bonding friction composites to steel, iron, aluminum, copper, etc.

Carl Sachs

gagir wrote:

Reply to
Carl Sachs

Thank you for the input.

A small search on these resins brought me to 3M. It is unfortunate a previous call to customer service ended up by: We do not provide any adhesives for natural rubber...

The most promissing from 3M are the bonding films but have to check on heat activation temperature. Solvent activation with MEK or acetone is out of the question.

Sovereign seems to have a water activated film, this is good.

Are these the products you were suggesting?

Regards,

Eric Girard

vulcanisation.

Reply to