Quest for non (or weakly)-magnetic material, resistant up to 800ºC, that h ardens without heating

Dear all,

I am a Ph.D. student at the University of Vigo, in NW Spain.

I have been searching for a long time for an "easy-to-find" material that fulfills the following needs:

- It must be possible to mix with some 25% of sediment (in particular marine sediment)

- It must be possible to put the mixture in a mould to obtain a hardened structure of the appropriate dimensions.

- The process of hardening must not involve heating. Plaster would fulfill these three requisites

- It must be "non" or weakly ferromagnetic.

- It must stand temperatures of at least 750-800ºC without breaking or changing volume significantly.

I need all these because I need to perform an experiment in which I measure the remanent magnetisation of a sediment over a range of temperatures up to 700-750 ºC. I need that the sample has the appropriate dimensions of the measurement instruments, hence the need for cold-hardening of the mixture (if I heat during hardening the magnetisation is altered and even erased).

I would really appreciate your help in this issue. If you have any idea it would be great if you could also send the reply also to my email address.

Thanks a lot for your help

Kais Jacob Mohamed Falcon

Reply to
Kais Jacob Mohamed Falcón

No way.

Michael Dahms

Reply to
Michael Dahms

Load your sediment into a metal mold and compress with a hydrolic ram.=20 Having a slight moisture content helps. You'll end up with a nice little=20 brick.

Marc

Reply to
Marc 182