non sparking metal material (mechanical sparking)

Hello!

Does anyone know whether brass really is non sparking if there is friction with other materials? until now I alwas used brass for a coupling guard in hazardous areas (gas / dust in chemical industry). The Coupling is made of steel or stainless steel, about 400kgs in wight and rotating with up to 2000rpm. It is protected through my guard (a simple box made of brass). But what happens if there is any defect and the coupling touches the guard? Will there be sparks or not? Is there any norm (EN / ISO etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Siggi

Reply to
Siegfried Kufner

Non-sparking but not very safe

David Deuchar

Brass doesn't spark when I put it to the belt sander, although steel does.

Reply to
Gregory L. Hansen