I'm looking for a shop in Manhanttan that cares with optical instruments for the textile industry. I'm looking specifically for a simple lens under which I can count the thread in the warp and weft directions.

Is there somebody who can help me with this urgent information?

Thank you very much.

Best regads, Leila

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Stamp and coin collectors use magnifying lenses that have a fixed focal distance and a ruled square opening, which should be adequate for your needs. You can go to just about any old collectible stamp and coin shop, and get one for less than $20.00... Manhattan, eh? Try this search link:

formatting link
Or use a yellow pages search of your choice for Hobbies - Stamps, or somesuch...

Regards, R. David Zopf

Reply to
David Zopf

Leila: Also try any large camera store. First, know the jargon. This type of folding magnifier with a square base with inch or millimeter scales and a 5X to 10X lens is usually called a "linen tester" (for obvious reasons).

Pittsburgh Pete

Reply to

These show up frequently on eBay, ranging from a simple lens in a brass mount with a spring-loaded foot that pops out to hold the lens at a fixed distance from a 1 inch square frame, to a device in its own animal skin case with a finely machined leadscrew, etc. Here's what I found currently available:

formatting link
formatting link
All in England, I'm afraid.

Try searching on thread + magnifier.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.