Lens

I'm looking for a shop in Manhanttan that cares with optical instruments for the textile industry. I'm looking specifically for a
simple lens under which I can count the thread in the warp and weft directions.
Is there somebody who can help me with this urgent information?
Thank you very much.
Best regads, Leila

Stamp and coin collectors use magnifying lenses that have a fixed focal distance and a ruled square opening, which should be adequate for your needs. You can go to just about any old collectible stamp and coin shop, and get one for less than $20.00... Manhattan, eh? Try this search link:
http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py?stp=y&stx 756663&city=New+York&state=NY&uzip007&country=us&msaV00&cs=4&ed=lJt4lK1o2Ty2L84EwYIL9s.EdfJDCVIxzAKB8NbvFtcN&qtx=Hobby+Stamps
Or use a yellow pages search of your choice for Hobbies - Stamps, or somesuch...
Regards, R. David Zopf
Leila wrote:

Leila: Also try any large camera store. First, know the jargon. This type of folding magnifier with a square base with inch or millimeter scales and a 5X to 10X lens is usually called a "linen tester" (for obvious reasons).
Pittsburgh Pete
Leila wrote:

These show up frequently on eBay, ranging from a simple lens in a brass mount with a spring-loaded foot that pops out to hold the lens at a fixed distance from a 1 inch square frame, to a device in its own animal skin case with a finely machined leadscrew, etc. Here's what I found currently available:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC41916301 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC42058098 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itema36555109
All in England, I'm afraid.
Try searching on thread + magnifier.